OHSA Protections for Co-op & Other Unpaid Learners
Bill 146 Receives Royal Assent amending the definition of worker:
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY ACT
1. The definition of “worker” in subsection 1 (1) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act is repealed and the following substituted:
“worker” means any of the following, but does not include an inmate of a correctional institution or like institution or facility who participates inside the institution or facility in a work project or rehabilitation program:
1. A person who performs work or supplies services for monetary compensation.
2. A secondary school student who performs work or supplies services for no monetary compensation under a work experience program authorized by the school board that operates the school in which the student is enrolled.
3. A person who performs work or supplies services for no monetary compensation under a program approved by a college of applied arts and technology, university or other post-secondary institution.
4. A person who receives training from an employer, but who, under the Employment Standards Act, 2000, is not an employee for the purposes of that Act because the conditions set out in subsection 1 (2) of that Act have been met.
5. Such other persons as may be prescribed who perform work or supply services to an employer for no monetary compensation; (“travailleur”)