Joint Health & Safety Committee (JHSC) Certification Part 1 *MOL Approved! – On-site
Provincial employers in Ontario employing 20 or more regularly employed workers must have a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) consisting of at least two certified members, one member representing workers and one representing management.
Committees have a primary responsibility to identify hazards, and bring them to the attention of the employer. Upon successful completion of our approved program, certified members will have the knowledge required to fulfill their legislated duties as JHSC certified members and will be able to support different workplace parties in understanding their roles as part of the internal responsibility system.
Occupational Safety Group Inc. is an Ontario Ministry of Labour Approved Training Provider for the Joint Health and Safety Committee Certification Part 1 Training Program.
Reminder: In order to become a certified member of the Joint Health & Safety Committee (JHSC), members must successfully complete Part II of the certification training within six months of completing Part I.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain their role as a certified member
- Explain the roles of workplace parties
- Identify health and safety legislation, and demonstrate how to access it
- Explain basic rights, responsibilities, and training requirements
- Describe the purpose, legal requirements for, and rights and duties of the JHSC and its members
- Describe how a functioning JHSC works
- Describe the basic process of recognizing, assessing, controlling, and evaluating hazards
- Explain hazard recognition and the process of workplace inspections
- Describe methods of hazard assessment, control, and evaluation
- Practice recognizing, assessing, controlling, and evaluating hazard controls
- State the requirements for investigating accidents
Participant’s Manual, Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations, A Guide to the Act, A Guide for Joint Health and Safety Committees and Representatives in the Workplace, and WHMIS: A Guide to the Legislation. Many resources and additional forms included in the participant manual, and a test.
Upon successful completion of the program, learners will be provided with a temporary wallet card.
Worker and management JHSC members.
OHSA s.9(2); OHSA s.9(12)