WHMIS 2015 Transition Process Extended
Health Canada announced on May 19th, 2017 the transition timelines for compliance with WHMIS 2015 were granted extensions. The extensions were given so suppliers, employers, and workers have time to adjust to the new system. Below is the updated transition process.
- June 1st, 2018: All chemical manufacturers and importers must sell hazardous products with labels and safety data sheets that comply with WHMIS 2015 requirements. (Deadline was previously June 1st, 2017.)
- June 1st, 2018 to August 31st, 2018: Chemical distributors and employers may continue to receive and sell chemicals with WHMIS 1988 or WHMIS 2015 labels and safety data sheets. (Deadline was previously June 1st, 2017 – May 31st, 2018.)
- September 1st, 2018: All chemical distributors must sell hazardous products that comply with WHMIS 2015 requirements only. (Deadline was previously June 1st, 2018.)
- September 1st, 2018 to November 30th, 2018: Employers should be receiving chemicals with WHMIS 2015 labels and safety data sheets. They have these 3 months to bring existing inventory to compliance. (Deadline was previously June 1st, 2018 – November 31st, 2018.)
- December 1st, 2018: The transition process must be complete and there should be no hazardous products in the workplace with WHMIS 1988 labels and material safety data sheets. (This deadline did not change.)
To learn more about the WHMIS 1988 to WHMIS 2015 transition process and changes that are coming into effect, please read the full feature article!
During this transition, if your workplace uses or receives products with WHMIS 1988 and/or WHMIS 2015 labels and safety data sheets, your employees need to be trained accordingly!
OSG is here to help you stay up to date on WHMIS training. We offer training Online, On-Site and through our Train-the-Trainer program! View our WHMIS 1988 and WHMIS 2015 courses today!
Written by Nick Hollinger | Communications Manager
Do you want to receive the latest and safest news directly to your inbox?
It’s easy! Press the button below to subscribe!