The committee must meet at the workplace at least once every three months. More frequent meetings may be necessary particularly in industries where the work involves hazardous substances or procedures. Best practices indicate a preference to monthly meetings especially where a committee is first being formed and in situations where it is practical to do so.
Committee meetings usually last one to two hours however this meeting may not be the only type of meeting that committee members may need to attend. The following is a list of various safety related meetings that a member may attend. They include:
- Facility and plant tours;
- Internal complaint resolution meetings to review safety issues prior to a work refusal;
- Ad hoc meeting to review safety issues that arise;
- Accident or incident review;
- Implementation of corrective actions; and
- Discussions about a job hazard analysis.